Wednesday, August 12, 2009

August 12: Another lactic acid test, via 400s


I've complained about them once and I'll complain about them again... I hate 400M intervals. Per the suggestion of my trainer (again, he's some random dude that's been giving me tips on an internet forum) I ran six 400's today, but here's the kicker: I only took a 60-second break in between.

My trainer said a shorter break in between my intervals would better test my body's ability to handle lactic acid.

Without doing this workout, 60-seconds seems like plenty of time for a break. But let me tell you what, it goes by very fast and suddenly you're back at the starting mark, running hard through another blasted lap.

It was definitely the hardest workout I've done in my training. The first four 400's weren't too bad, but the last two were wretched. By the sixth, my muscles felt like jelly and I couldn't see straight. In other words, there was no way I could have passed a sobriety test.

Here are my times: 1:12 - 1:15 - 1:14 - 1:14 - 1:15 - 1:17. (The first four laps add up to a 4:55 mile; hot dog!)

1 comment: