Saturday, August 8, 2009

August 8: 5K race


I tested my endurance in a 5K race this morning. I came in at 18:55. That's good progress from my 5K time of 19:33, two weeks ago. I went out plenty fast, probably too fast. I've always had a problem restraining myself immediately after the starting gun; it just seems that the right thing to do is sprint off.

I got passed by a couple runners at about 1.5 miles, but then I passed a couple runners in the final 1/4 mile. After all was said and done I finished 6th. I was happy with the kick I had at the end of the race; for that I'll thank all the blasted 400M intervals I've done.

Here's the funny thing about competitive running... I'm pretty sure it's the only sport where the competitor enjoys the end of the event more than competing in the event. No runner really enjoys running a race as much as they enjoy finishing it. The actual act of competing is grueling, but it's nice when it's over.

On the other hand, no basketball or football player is thinking "I can't wait until this is over" in the middle of the game. They enjoy the time they're competing. They enjoy shooting or passing a lot more than they enjoy walking off the court or field at the end of the game.

Now you have an idea of what was going through my mind during today's race.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Ross. You aren't giving up. I am impressed with your endurance. I think I would have given up on the goal a while ago. Actually, I wouldn't have made the goal. Kevin has a goal to do 18,000 push ups this year. He'd planned on doing 66 a day, but now he's stepped it up to 100 per day and has already achieved his goal--but he is still doing his hundred. Go Kevin and Ross.

    ReplyDelete