Tuesday, August 25, 2009

August 25: A one-mile run, timed


Very, very good news...

This evening my wife and I jogged down to the track where she would time my mile run. My plan was to run a sub 5:15 mile tonight, then go for sub 5:00 on Monday, August 31.

All day I had been nervous, and before I started the run I was even more so. I jogged two laps to loosen up, then did a couple short sprints. My wife was getting bored, so I had to get over to the starting line and get going. Plus it was getting pretty dark.

I counseled her on shouting out my lap times, then lined up and and waited for her to say "go." I pushed hard my first lap, knowing a good time would save me seconds on my next two laps.

Apparently my wife didn't know she needed to actually shout my lap times, because I couldn't hear her say my time after the first lap. Heavy footsteps and breathing cancels out a lot of noise.

My pace through lap two felt great, but again, as I passed through the end of the lap I couldn't hear my wife say my time. I yelled for it, and I thought she said 2:17. If it was true, I knew I could do it.

Lap three, which I thought would be the most grueling, actually felt pretty good. My stride felt very efficient and my breathing capable.

At the end of lap three I heard 3:35 or 3:45. I couldn't tell which one my wife had said, but I knew I could meet my goal even if it was the latter. Assuming the latter, I put my all into the last lap. At the 200M mark I amped up for an all-out sprint. I was worried my legs would give out early as my muscles lost all energy, but the thought of meeting my goal kept me going full bore.

I crossed the finish line and collapsed on the track. My wife walked over to me and read my time. 4:46.8. I managed to pull myself up and we took a victory lap in the dark, in front of empty bleachers.

So... I guess that's it.

8 comments:

  1. You rocked that thing! Congrats Rock! Now you can focus on getting better at tennis with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would do it! Congratulations on meeting your goal...and early even!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAHOOOOOOO!!!!!! YOU DID IT! I knew you would, I'm just sad I didn't get to be there to cheer you on. I've been practicing my motivating cheers for months, and was certain I would be the key to your sub five minute mile. So much for that. How 'bout one more time just for fun, eh?
    You're amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just came across your blog, I'm gearing up for my own sub 5 attempt, it was great to read your stories and workouts, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! how do you improve your mile time by more than a minute in less than 2 months?... I envy you

    ReplyDelete
  6. i know this is a bit dated, but i googled "sub 5 minute mile" since that is my current goal for this summer. after reading your progress, i must say that i'm really pumped and impressed.

    that time is incredible! i'm a mid distance kinda guy, and work out at the gym about 3-4 times a week and run about 2-3 times a week. I times myself at 5:21 about a week and a half ago, and just want to know what parts of your training you thought were the most effective.

    I run very low mileage, and also work a job to pay my way through college, so my schedule is super packed. My runs and workouts are typically very short and intense. Also, my speed is my asset - i ran a 55 second 400m last week - but am having some difficulty with this mile thing!

    good job! if you have any advice, i'd love to hear it. if you don't get this, no big deal!

    happy training,

    -greg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait... this is bullshit! i want some proof that you broke 5 minutes. No one can do it in less than 2 months!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a little skeptical of your progress from the last timed mile.

    ReplyDelete