Saturday, August 1, 2009

August 1: Heel striker


I did quite a bit of reading last night on running techniques. It seems the cool thing to do is run on the balls of your feet, which is the natural tendency when you're running barefoot. That's why people say it's "more natural" to also run that way with shoes on.

I'm a heck of a heel striker, I realized. What I read said you want to limit the amount of time your feet are on the ground, so if you hit heel first you've got to roll all the way to your toes before you take off again. Plus you "hit the brakes" for a split second when your heel hits in front of you.

This morning I ran down to the track and then ran four 400M's to see if I could run on the balls of my feet. My first 400 came in at 1:13--a bit slow. On my next 400 I worked on landing more on the middle of my foot, rather than the ball or the heel. 1:11. I continued that technique for the next two and came in at 1:12 and 1:13.

So I'm not sure which way is best. After my 400's I ran the stairs in the stands for a little bit, then ran home. Then I had two basketball games to play in, so today was a pretty active day. I celebrated by drinking some pop. Canada Dry ginger ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment