Monday, July 13, 2009

July 13: My second mile, timed


I don't know if it was the hot sauce I used at dinner or my new shoes, but I had a little spark in my mile run tonight.

When I got to the track I had planned on running the mile. Midway through the second lap, though, I started to tell myself I was just going to run the 800. I was feeling tired and didn't want to continue.

But I'm proud to say I pushed on and kept rounding the track. As I neared the finish line I was pretty sure I was going to break 6 minutes. I looked at my iPod stopwatch and 5:37 was staring me in the face! That's 30 seconds in 12 days.

While I am optimistic, I am also being cautious. When I ran my first mile I wasn't really in shape, but now I feel I'm in pretty good shape. So every second I shave off here on out will have to come more from pure speed, rather than increased endurance.

2 comments:

  1. Ross, I didn't even know about this amazing goal! Break a five minute mile? Holy cow! I'm so proud of you! I can't believe you ran a mile in 5:37--you're the bomb. Have you considered wearing cleats? They might be worth the money--could shave off those last few seconds. The Rocky video on your other blog is absolutely hilarious! I laughed so hard during that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive, Ross. That is awfully fast. A speeding bullet, you might say. What is your mile time, Sarah? Mine is probably under 20 minutes. In fact, I'm pretty sure it is, though I've never timed it.

    ReplyDelete