Sunday, July 26, 2009

July 25: 5K race


On Saturday I ran a little 5K race. There were only about 50 runners, male and female, young and old, but it was good to get into some form of race mode. I was hoping to come in under 20 minutes, and my hope was fulfilled. My time was 19:33, good for 3rd overall.

Being in a race really does help your pace. I found I was better able to ignore pains and tiredness when I had to keep up with someone, as apposed to when I'm alone on the track.

In high school my best 5K time was about 18:15, if I remember correctly. I'm wondering why it's so hard getting back to where I was 9 years ago. I'm also wondering why I'm trying to break a 5-minute mile if I couldn't do it back then. But whatever.

Since there really aren't many one-mile races anymore, I was thinking I could try to break the 5-minute mile by entering a 5K race and just bailing after the first mile.

For one, it would feel good to lead the pack of a race--if only for a mile. Secondly, it would kind of be funny because I'd throw off the pace of all the front runners. It would also confuse a lot of people when I quit the race after a mile and jogged off with my fists in the air, in celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment