Friday, July 3, 2009

July 3: Recovery run, 3.5 miles

I've been in contact with a guy that ran the 800 in college, and he's given me little bits of advice:

The key is to stay injury free (i.e. let your muscles recover from intense speed workouts) and keep allowing your body to adapt to running.

So today I went out for a 3.5 mile trot to recover from yesterday's sprints.

In other news, I HAVE GOT to stop running right after I eat! Before I went out I had a large serving of a Mexican casserole that my beautiful wife had made for me. Unfortunately, I was burping up cilantro fumes every 10 yards.

And for a good mile or two, I felt like there was a 2x4 stuffed between my ribs. Nothing ruins a run like a side ache/stitch/cramp/sticker--there's a million names for the blasted things.

Speaking of side aches, I YouTubed the phrase and found this wacko runner. He mumbles something about Area 51, as well as Mormon missionaries. It's well worth the two-minute investment to watch it:

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the new Blog, Ross. I commend you for your goal. I am nut much of a runner these days - AT ALL, and sort of hoped to change that by participating in Provo's 5K Freedom Run.

    Unfortunately I set my alarm clock wrong and slept in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forget Shawn, I say Run Ross Run! I'm hooked on following your new goal. I even told a kid in our ward about you today. He ran on a team in the 100 mile back country relay a couple of weeks ago. He said he'd be happy with a 6 minute mile. Go Ross...

    ReplyDelete