Monday, July 27, 2009

July 27: Intervals... I hate them


Intervals are the burr under my saddle as I ride my way to this goal (how's that for phraseology?). I hate them, but I must do them. Or so say the experts.

I'd rather just go out for runs, but I've heard the best way to run a given time in the mile is to run a lot of intervals consistent with the goal speed. So I need to be able to easily run 2:29 800's and 1:14 400's.

I ran four 400M's this evening; the first three came out at 1:11, 1:10, and 1:12. Then I had this great desire to run my last 400 in 1:08 (my fastest to date is 1:09), but I got tired as heck half way through and it ended up being a lousy 1:15. I think I need to be able to run at least eight 400's under 1:15, but I'm a couple weeks away from getting there.

Next I ran four 200's, all at the 33/34 second mark. I was wasted by then, so they were dang hard. Take into account the 2 miles it took to run to the track and back, and I ran a total of 3 1/2 miles tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment