Wednesday, July 1, 2009

July 1: My first mile, timed


Well, my introductory mile has been clocked. I came in at 6:07. I think it's slower than I was hoping, but then again, it's not bad for my first swing at the ol' mile.

What scares me is I've got to shave off 1:08 to break five. I should be able to run a lap at the track in that time!. Can I shake off a minute in two months? Not real sure. I've talked to some experienced runners, and they're saying I'll need at least three months. Naysayers.

Possible reasons I didn't run it faster:
  • I hit a swarm of gnats at about 600 meters and probably spent a few precious seconds coughing them up
  • My running shoes are a little old; I should probably look into a new pair of kicks
  • For some reason the songs on my iPod stopped after three laps, so I was on my own for motivational beats
At least that's what I'm hoping...

2 comments:

  1. Go to the Runners Corner and talk to Hawk. He hooked me up with some tight kicks. They let me try on like 70 pairs and were great to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very inspirational. I too have unfinished business with the 5-minute barrier. I went out 2 days ago and clocked in a 5:45 mile, and I currently weigh 195 lbs. Hoping to do the same as you!

    ReplyDelete