Wednesday, July 15, 2009

July 15: Intervals, and what I'll do when I break 5


I jogged the mile to the local track, then ran a 400. I was hoping for 1:05ish, but I came in at 1:09. Oh well, 5-minute miles don't break themselves, I've learned.

After my 400 I ran five hard 200's, with 200-meter jogs in between. I was pretty dang tired by my fifth; I think that crap I said a couple posts ago about being in shape was wrong. Speaking of getting into good shape, I'm drinking a Dr. Pepper as I write this. Dang it.

A lot of people have been asking me what I'll do once I break the 5-minute mile. (Actually, nobody has been asking me. Heck, I don't even know if more than 5 people know about my goal.)

Anyway, I was thinking I could tag my mile time to the end of my name, kind of like people do with academic degrees. So instead of "John Doe, Ph.D.," or "John Doe, M.A.," it'd be "John Doe, 4:59."

Now that I look at it, though, that may not work. People might think I'm a Bible verse, or something.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you worry Rock, you've got a strong silent listener in me. Keep up the good work buddy. If you ever need anyone to hold the stopwatch let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rock Mitchell 4:59. That's so funny!
    It's all about the bragging rights. Whenever the conversation lulls in a group, you'll always be able to say, "So, have any of you ever run a mile in less than five minutes?" I'm sure any crowd would go wild when they find out that startling info. You're doing amazing.

    ReplyDelete